Bullying Rates Among High
Archival records are often used for research purposes. For this activity, you have been tasked with evaluating a local bullying prevention program. Specifically, you are to determine whether it will result in a reduction in bullying rates among high school youth between 14-18 in the community. There are statistics on general bullying rates for the state and county collected by the state education department. However, there are no statistics for bullying rates at the community level, and none that separate the rates for each school level (elementary, middle, or high).
Answer the following questions to guide your initial research:
- Would a survey collect the necessary data? Why or why not? What would be the advantages and challenges of this method?
- What other agencies may have the information you seek? Make a list of those agencies considering
- Public records from governmental agencies
- Research organizations
- Health and human service organizations
- Schools and education departments
- Academic and similar institutions
- Business and industry
- What would be the advantages and challenges of archival records for this research?