Due Process Hearing Officer
Chapter 10 Assignment
Please put answer in the template provided
1. Read “What About Jesse?” Answer the following questions:
a. Where were the legal responsibilities of each of Jesse’s teachers and the building principal at the school?
b. How do you think the due process hearing officer ruled in this case and why?
2. Which of the Supreme Court cases do you believe has had the most impact on students with disabilities and why?
3. What is the 4-prong test established to determine least restrictive environment?
4. What is the major difference between Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act-2004?
5. Why is it so important to have laws and regulations that protect the rights of students with disabilities?
6. Do you believe that school districts would provide services if they were not mandated to do so? Why or why not?
7. What are the laws that protect the rights of students with disabilities?
8. Define the following terms:
a. Adequate year progress (AYP)
b. Related Services